Thursday, September 14, 2006

Penance

One tear is enough as all others would simply be redundant. Staring into the darkness I feel a solitary tear slip from my blinkless eye and slowly travel down my lonesome cheek. Mistakes are lessons. Pain is an horrific teacher. Saline is used as a cleanser, a purifier whether in medicine or in the soul, but one's will must allow the liquid to perform its duties otherwise all is wasted. One tear begins the process but healing a broken heart takes more than just a tear. The heart cannot be mended easily, although dashing it to pieces can be attained with a single word. The chasm beneath my feet widens and the tear falls from my face into the void. As it falls I hear it crying for action, for peace, for unity, for penance. Forgiveness may never come. It is neither mine to give nor mine to request but for me to seek. Sorrow does not bring forth solace. Restlessness does not generate laughter. Time cannot be reversed and actions cannot be deleted. Has my tear fallen in vain? Carrying on with life never was and never will be easy; the question is, will it be worth it?

No comments: