Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Of CEO's and Manly Vanity

After reading this article, I was impressed that a chief executive actually had the guts to stand up for what he believed to be right for the company, which is the whole reason one would imagine the Board of Directors thought of when they hired him. Yet with his integrity and job on the line, the Board thought it better to let him go after 100 days, rather than admit the company has some shortcomings. The truth can be hard to take, especially to the wicked. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Big Business is bad. I know that a lot of companies do good things and foot the bill for many of the projects for which we think the government should pay, but, because humans are at the top of these firms, they still react like idiots sometimes.

Now, completely off the subject is another article I found interesting. Read it here. Though it took too long for the media to report, I think the phenomenon of male self-image being warped by the media has been in existence just as long as it has been for women. Despite the article's assurance that males worry about body odor much more due to the media, I feel most men are accutely more despaired because of the way these models' bodies look with the six-pack and the well-defined muscles, etc. It makes us want to get off our lazy butts and do something about it...if I could just get the remote out of my hands.

No comments: